From the procedures and quality assurance measures employed in the processing of every case, to her work with our engineering team on advanced digital forensics tools and techniques, Cindy ensures that Tetra Defense remains at the forefront of the digital forensics industry.
Cindy Murphy worked in law enforcement for 31 years, starting her career in the US Army as an MP in 1985 and joining the Madison Police Department in 1991. She began investigating computer related crimes in 1998 before being promoted to detective in 2000. Since then, Cindy has become one of the most highly respected experts in the digital forensics field.
Cindy has been teaching digital forensics since 2002. She helped develop a digital forensics certification curriculum for Madison Area Technical College and co-authored the SANS FOR585 Advanced Smartphone Forensics course. Throughout her career, it’s safe to say that Cindy has taught thousands of digital forensics students and professionals globally through this coursework, keynote addresses, white papers and articles.
Both during her time in law enforcement and at Tetra, Cindy has provided expert testimony in court proceedings involving homicide, financial crimes, sexual assault, robberies, the possession and production of child pornography, money laundering, intellectual property theft, drug trafficking, computer crimes, aggravated battery, and more. Her expert testimony experience spans many levels of the court system, including:
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Federal Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- State of Wisconsin, Supreme Court
- State of Wisconsin, Dane County Circuit Court
- State of Wisconsin, Columbia County Circuit Court
- State of Wisconsin, Sauk County Circuit Court
- State of California, Santa Clara County
- United States Air Force, Elmendorf Air Force Base
Most recently, Cindy testified in an intellectual property case as the digital forensics expert. At its’ conclusion, Lumileds, a semiconductor company, was awarded $66 million after the jury found the defendant’s liable for damages in intellectual property theft.
Cindy’s expertise reaches far beyond the witness stand with numerous keynote and conference session presentations. She has traveled the world to spread the message of continuous growth and challenge of the status quo. Her recent speaking engagements include:
- SANS Digital Forensics and Incident Response Summit
- State of Wisconsin Governor’s Conference on Emergency Management
- High Tech Crime Investigator’s Association conference
- NIST Mobile Device Forensics Workshop
- Wisconsin Digital Government Summit
- HTCIA Conference & Expo
- Information Systems Security Association
- NetDiligence – Santa Monica
- Wisconsin Association of Computer Crimes Investigators (WACCI) conference
Cindy is a certified forensic examiner and obtained her M.Sc. in Forensic Computing and Cyber Crime Investigation through University College, Dublin in 2011. With numerous other accomplishments in her years as a digital forensics examiner, Cindy Murphy is clearly an industry leader and brings a wealth of knowledge and skill to the team at Tetra.
Connect with Cindy on LinkedIn
Follow Cindy on Twitter